10 Wallet Friendly Home Adjustments To Help Avoid Falls
“You’re as young as you feel ” is an age-old sentiment that resonates with each of us as we age, but alas, the circle of life will inevitably catch up with us all.
As our motor skills digress, it’s vital to acknowledge that our homes can become a death trap. 50% of falls happen inside the home. Here are 10 wallet-friendly home improvements to aid you in avoiding falls.
- Remove things you can trip over (like papers, books, clothes, and shoes) from stairs and places where you walk.
- Remove small throw rugs or use double-sided tape to keep the carpets from slipping.
- Keep items you often use in cabinets you can reach easily without using a step stool.
- Install grab bars next to your toilet and in the tub or shower.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and on shower floors.
- Improve the lighting in your home. As you get older, you need brighter lights to see well.
- Hang lightweight curtains or shades to reduce glare.
- Adding handrails and lights on all staircases decreases fall risk.
- Wear shoes both inside and outside the house. Avoid going barefoot or wearing slippers.
- Consult with your doctor, implement a work out routine that will keep you healthy & strong.